Sunday, January 5, 2014

Up Up and Away!

Welcome! I must say, I'm honored you're reading. I hope you enjoy my story!

Back in August I applied through IE3 Global Internships for an internship at the Eric Liddell Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland. After an intensive application process and quite the nail bitting time frame, I got the internship. 

Well, it hasn't quite hit me yet. I'm traveling to the beautiful Scotland! A place of endless history, enchanting scenery, friendly people, and ample photography opportunities (being the aspiring photographer that I am). The nerve-racking part? My visa has arrived 48 hours prior to my departure flight.
Talk about a close call.

The Eric Liddell Centre is a charity in Edinburgh providing various services to the community. Within the charity is a programme supporting caregivers called the Ca(I)re Programme that puts the 'I' in Care (which is quite clever I might add). My responsibilities reside within the Ca(I)re Programme, where I will research the types of classes and support caregivers of Edinburgh have received. Based on this information, I will create focus groups, courses, and advertising campaigns for my groups. To say I am thrilled for this opportunity would be quite the understatement!

So you know the movie Chariots of Fire? Eric Liddell was the olympic runner featured in the movie who won a gold medal in the 1924 Summer olympics for the 400m! Since the 1980's when the centre was created, it has done wonderful things for the people of Edinburgh and I couldn't be more honored to be a part of the work they do.

Currently, I am pursuing a degree in Human Development and Family Sciences at Oregon State University and couldn't think of a finer opportunity to gain experience within the human services field! I recently completed an internship at the YES House (Youths Entering Sobriety) where I worked with adolescents with drug and alcohol abuse problems. I loved everything about that internship. I enjoyed the population and learned how to run therapy groups, be tough, caring, and bring out my inner 'sass' all at the same time. My experience at the Eric Liddell Centre with a totally different age group, circumstance, and culture will be truly invaluable.

Now why is my blog titled 'A Well Timed Travel'? I'm starting the new year in a country I've never been to! A place where I know no one and the possibilities are endless. I'm young, enthusiastic, moving forward, and longing for adventure. It's corny, but oh so true.

Before I embark on this journey, I would like to take a moment and thank everyone who has been so helpful and excited for me (shout out to my Dad, the WG, my Jellibean, my professors, and Dan).

I'll attempt to post as often as possible and would love your comments and feedback! See you in April. :)


2 comments:

  1. You'll do awesome! They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading about your experiences Rachele!

    ReplyDelete