Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wild and Sexy Scotland.

I've made it back to the states! I would have made a post sooner, although moving back to school and starting brand new classes made that a bit tricky.

Other than the announcement, "All passengers must put their seat belt on immediately," given three different times on the plane ride, traveling went quite smoothly! I mean, why do you have to use the word immediately? It was only turbulence, but that's just terrifying.

Now before I tell you all about my highland adventure, I have to tell you about my last day of my internship!

In the afternoon, I was surprised with a wee presentation where I was showered with gifts and appreciation! Gifts included sparkling wine, whiskey, a card with sweet notes, flowers, and a Quaich. A Quaich is a small encrusted silver bowl. Traditionally, it is offered as a cup of welcome or farewell and derives from the gaelic word "cuach", which means "shallow cup". It is gaining popularity for using it to toast happy occasions.

To say I felt honored would be an understatement. I am truly appreciative of the support, appreciation, and opportunities given to me by the Eric Liddell Centre!

And it's now time to prepare yourself for the amazing scottish highlands!

I went on a 3 day guided tour of 28 people around the highlands with a company called Haggis Adventures. Cool name right? Well the tour itself was called Wild and Sexy Scotland. Even cooler name right? But here is the best part- we drove around in a yellow bus with the words "Wild and Sexy" on the side. I know, it just keeps getting better!

Day 1: Visiting Glencoe, the Wallace Monument, and various lochs (lakes).

(My apologies for not having a description of every picture!)
The Wallace Monument
Looking down the Falls of Dochart at Killin.
Standing in the Falls of Dochart.



Lovely travel companions on the tour!
Ranoch Moor

Looking down Glen Etive, the peak of Buachaille is on the right.

In Glencoe.
Looking down Glencoe.
In Glencoe.
The Commando Memorial near the Village of Spean Bridge. The ski centre of Nevis Range is in the background.

During this trip we stayed in a hostel called Morag's Lodge right on Loch ness! The first night of our tour, the hostel held a Pub Quiz where we divided up into teams and had to answer questions and complete challenges. It was a blast seeing as it had been a while since I was in a room full of people laughing SO hard!


Day 2: Visiting Isle of Skye!

We continued on our journey up to Isle of Skye, or also know as the "Isle of Mist", because yes, it was quite misty. I prefer to call it the "Isle of Rainbows" because we saw 5 rainbows in one day! It was quite a magical place.
The Scotland shaped Loch Garry.



Eilean Donan Castle.


Kilt Rock, Totternish Peninsula



The Quiraing





Slighachen
The bridge at Slighachen, or the "River of Eternal Beauty"
Eilean Donan Castle
Day 3: Loch Ness, highland cows, and waterfalls!

So I have to admit- the real reason behind going on this tour was to pet some Heilan Coo's (highland cows). Okay, well not really....

Except actually yes.

The tour guides weren't going to stop to pet the cows, but because I had been going on about them for the past 2 days, WE STOPPED TO PET SOME HEILAN COOS!







This little cow was so curious! And was really good at taking selfies.
The signs had english and gaelic on them!
Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness
Loch Ness
And of course we had to hunt for Nessie!


The Hermitage, near Dunkeld.
The Hermitage, near Dunkeld.
The Hermitage, near Dunkeld.


I realize this may have been an overload on pictures, but the highlands are just too beautiful for their own good!

Overall, including my internship, travels, and new relationships made, I will be forever grateful! I learned so much about myself and the world and I simply can't wait to go back for a wee' cuppa!

And much love to those who have been so supportive throughout this journey and have followed my travels. I couldn't have done it without any of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment