Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Infamous Haggis

Do you know what haggis is? Like what it really is?

Haggis before it is cooked
Haggis is a traditional scottish dish made out of- you guessed it- sheep's heart, liver, and lungs encased within the stomach. I know what you are thinking- mmmmm!

Robert Burns, a historically famous scottish poet, wrote a poem entitled Ode to a Haggis in 1787. Since then, haggis has been termed the national dish of Scotland.

But don't worry, haggis is served with onion, oatmeal, suet, and is mixed with stock and various spices.

I know what you are thinking now- MMMMMM!

Before trying haggis, I received a few reviews from some locals. A quarter of the people will never even try it, about half think it's not too bad, and the last quarter love haggis.

Did I mention haggis is banned in the United States?


Cooked haggis
Naturally, I had to try it! The first time I tried haggis was in soup form. There were bits of haggis floating in a creamy and herby broth. The second time was haggis by itself and mixed with mashed potatoes, as you see above. 


This was me before I tried haggis soup:
Haggis tastes like a mixture of squishy vegetables and soft meat, resembling a ground beef texture while encasing a slight ham flavour, sprinkled with a hint of rosemary and bacon. Quite the sensation.

This is me after trying haggis: 
I love haggis. Seriously, you have to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment