Sunday, February 2, 2014

Headed South

The view from the train
I went to London last weekend!

This was not the first time I have been to London, but it was fun to see the city a bit older and on a different trip.

To get there, I took a train along the east coast of the United Kingdom. And let me tell you- the views were incredible.

I went to London with a friend from the states and stayed with another friend doing an internship through IE3 Global Internships as well. Together we had the best time navigating the tubes, walking, laughing, dancing, and taking pictures.
     
Jaclyn, David, and I
The first day was beautiful. The sun was out and I even made friends with a pigeon and squirrel!


We visited Buckingham Palace and could stand right outside the gates. Last time I was here the Queen was inside and getting closer than a half-mile away was near impossible.

Buckingham Palace

Next we were able to visit the National British Museum and National Gallery. Both were full of fascinating history and beautiful pieces of art from all over the world.

The Jericho Tomb
Outside the National Gallery
 At one point, we found ourselves in the middle of an Egyptian protest (by complete accident) and all I could do was stand there and snap a few shots!


Other than those wee adventures, we spent our time exploring and visiting Big Ben, the Tower Bridge, London Eye, a hidden street market, and a cathedral.


Last but not least, here is a bit about the cultural differences. Everyone I have heard talk about London has mentioned how big and fast-paced it is. That is exactly how I felt. People walk with a purpose and slow down for nothing. Get nailed with a swinging bag? No one stops to apologize. That was the first difference I noticed between Edinburgh and London.

Considering it took about an hour to travel over a small part of London, I was in awe of it's size. London is quite beautiful, although I found myself missing the coziness of Edinburgh. Overall, the trip was amazing and well worth the journey down south!

No comments:

Post a Comment