Saturday, February 8, 2014

Represent!

So far, I've been with the Eric Liddell Centre for about a month!

And wow, time flies.

Up to this point, I have enjoyed every minute of my time here! I have done everything from making reports on my research to setting up courses for carers to even serving lattes.

My research has been quite fascinating, to say the least. I have been speaking with carers and putting together previous data from the courses offered to help analyze carers lives, how we can help carers, how our courses have already helped carers, and what we can change about our program to help carers even further. Every single carer I have spoken to and all the data I've looked at has helped someone in some way.

Even though the courses haven't started yet and I've done a minimal amount of working with carers face to face so far, it has been an amazing experience making a difference to carers lives.

In these first few weeks, I've also been able to attend various events as a representative of the Eric Liddell Centre. Here is a bit about those:

Scottish Youth Parliament National Campaign Launch

The Scottish Youth Parliament is the democratically elected voice of Scotland's young people. They have brought up and passed many bills that are important to the young people in this country. This particular event, the Care.Fair. Share. campaign, aims to provide emotional and financial support to young carers in Scotland.

I attended this event as a representative of the Eric Liddell Centre to show my support for young carers and to connect with other organizations supporting carers. It was inspiring, to say the least.

To have seen this many young people fighting so hard for the support of others was truly incredible. Not only were people enthusiastic about being there, but they were grateful to be there. Every single member of the Scottish Youth Parliament personally thanked me for coming and supporting the campaign. I left the campaign that day in awe.






Canny wi' Cash Event

The Canny wi' Cash organization allows older people to decide where grants go for older people's groups. It was decided that the Eric Liddell Centre would receive an advertising grant for one of our programs, the Lunch Service.

The Lunch Service is a weekly service where older people can come and enjoy a very inexpensive 2 course delicious lunch, served by volunteers and in the company of other older people. To receive the funds to advertise for this service was quite exciting!

I attended this event representing the Eric Liddell Centre with my wonderful colleague, Leigh Ann. It was held in the beautiful and intricate City Chambers Building in the European Room.  




LOOP Launch Event

My apologies for the lack of pictures for this event! LOOP stands for Local Opportunities for Older People. This is a new organization trying to create connections and resources for older people involving all local organisations.

This event involved many other organisations, charities and quite the heated (for lack of a better term) discussion on how to connect with isolated older people and what the most helpful strategies are in doing so.

Hearing all of the different perspectives on connections for older people really was the best way to learn about the issues happening right here in Edinburgh for older people.

Burns Supper Fundraiser

This event was located in the Eric Liddell Centre itself, and while I did not attend it as a representative, I was there to help set up and witness some true Scottish culture!

Burns Supper's are held in honor of Robert Burns day, a day to remember the famous Scottish poet. The supper usually consists of the recital of the poem 'Ode To A Haggis' as well as the enjoyment of eating haggis (I know you are all still dying to try it) and other Scottish dishes like buttery mashed neeps and tatties. In this particular dinner, we were able to have a piper perform, as you see below.


I was in charge of selling the wine with my wonderful boss, Julie! Not a bad job I might add!


Overall, we were able to raise 1,700 pounds for the centre. Quite successful! 

More events are to come, along with a bit more on work culture. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment