Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Weekend Adventures

Despite fighting a rather annoying cough, these past couple weekends have been filled with some wonderful adventures!

City of Stirling:

Stirling is about an hour long train ride headed northeast from Edinburgh. As a smaller quaint city, the main highlights include the castle and Wallace monument.

Headed there solo, I marveled at the views from the castle, attempted to make it to the monument, and wandered the massive shopping mall.

Here is the Stirling castle and the surrounding cemetery:
















Why did I "attempt" to go to the Wallace Monument, you ask?

Looking ahead, I found 3 buses taking me from the castle to the monument. Upon boarding one of the buses, I was informed by the bus driver that none of the buses were correct. Well the next suggested bus, by the bus driver himself, never came. Considering a suggestion from a local, I walked up 5 or 6 bus stops, well past the promised bus stop that would take me to the monument. 

What couldn't I find? The suggested bus stop. Needless to say, something in the universe was stopping me from visiting the monument that day!

But that's okay. Everything happens for a reason, right? 

Edinburgh Zoo:

For those of you who really know me, you know my my love for pandas is endless and undying. 

Guess what. The zoo has PANDAS.

Seriously, I could hardy contain my enthusiasm.





Oh, and I met a wonderful little penguin who loved a good scratch on the head!


Arthur's Seat:

Arthur's seat is the main peak in the hills of Holyrood Park in Edinburgh. Hiking up the hill (even though my shoes were breaking and I couldn't stop coughing) was exactly what I needed!

I'll admit, this being my first time living in a true city, I had begun to feel a bit claustrophobic. Looking around to see only hills, green, and nature was quite grounding, despite being high up in the air.










My next adventure takes me to the beautiful little oceanfront city, North Berwick!

Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment